Monday, March 5, 2007

My Form of Tilting

Today: -$366
Hours: 2
To Date: +$6,783
$200 nl win rate (to date): $46/hr

Made a couple pretty thoughtless and loose call downs that cost me a little. But other than that I was really happy with my play today. I just got really unlucky in a couple big pots. I made a couple plays that I don't think most people would have today that were really good. This was all based on things I had observed about a couple players tendencies and how they play.
Also I used to think I was pretty impossible to tilt in 6 max games, but through last month's horrible run and the intensity which I have been observing my play trying to get better, I realized I do have my own form of tilting. The first form of tilting I have is when I have been running bad for an extended period of time, once in a while I will start firing 2nd and 3rd barrels at the pot on the turn and river where I normally wouldn't. This is a result of the feeling you get when running bad where you need to make up for pots you have been losing. So when I don't improve on the turn I will bet again when I shouldn't, hoping my opponet will fold and I will pick up the pot. I looked over my pokertracker stats and found that I am right and my aggression factor on the turn and river went up in Feb. compared to Jan. The second form of tilting I have is when a player will start berating another huge fish in the chat when the fish is getting lucky on him. I can't stand it when idiots do this, and sometimes I can't help but step in and start defending the fish who I want to keep on playing bad and giving me money. These fish that make these horrific and dumb plays are how good poker players make a lot of their money, and the last thing I ever want is other idiot players giving them the incentive to try and play better, and even worse leave the table. This will often result in me getting into a big fight with the idiot player, and as a result I definitely lose focus of my other tables in numerous ways. This makes me not aware of valuable information I would normally be getting, as well as puts me in the wrong state of mind. I never thought about this too much, but this has definitely cost me money. Telling the player to shut up and stop berating other players won't stop them anyways most of the time. I had another form of tilting I realized yesterday but can't think of it right now. But both I mentioned are not HUGE forms of tilting, and I never really realized them as this in the past. However, I'm glad I realized them and I will definitely stop doing both of them. This will hopefully result in a better hourly win rate and better results in the future. So even if players don't have obvious tilt where they start playing terribly after a bad beat, there are always little things that you might not be aware of that are costing you more money than you think in the long run. The only way to realize them is by critically analyzing your play and actions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home